Excavator operators experience a myriad of challenges when working in constricted areas. In most cases, the bucket or attachment cannot work effectively, which forces them to hire smaller equipment. Tilt hitches are an instant solution to this problem as they allow the operator to tilt the attachment. Below is a blog on tilt hitches.
What are the Benefits of Tilt Hitches?
The immediate benefit of a tilt hitch is that it enables the operator to swing the attachment at a specific angle to any side. This enables them to work in tight spaces. Besides, the tilting mechanism gives a cleaner cut when digging trenches and utility holes. It is especially so since the operator can scrap the side walls with better precision. Tilt hitches also improve site safety. When working in constricted spaces, operators often steer the equipment in awkward positions to ensure access. Moreover, slight mistakes or incidents such as the equipment sliding could cause accidents at the site. The tilt hitch allows the operator to conduct complicated tasks without compromising the excavator's stability.
Tilt hitches improve site operations and help you cut equipment hire costs. In most cases, you will have to rent smaller equipment to work in constricted areas. However, given that this equipment has a short arm, you will need to hire slightly larger equipment before using the standard excavator. For instance, you could hire a skid steer, followed by a backhoe loader before you can use the standard excavator. This significantly increases the operating costs and impacts your profits as a contractor. The tilt hitch can help you avoid these inefficiencies.
Buying A Tilt Hitch
These tips should help you purchase a tilt hitch:
- Examine the tilt range of the hitch. A hitch with a larger tilt range is considered more versatile.
- What is the tilt power? More power will increase the tilt range of the hitch.
- The tilt's dimensions should be suitable for your excavator. Ideally, the hitch should not exceed the attachment's dimensions.
- Examine the built quality of the tilt hitch. For instance, tilt hitches with cross relief valves are less prone to damage caused by shocks when operating the equipment.
- How heavy is the hitch? Remember, it directly affects the loads you can lift.
The equipment's manufacturer is also a concern. Ideally, you should interview plant operators and check construction blogs to know how the different brands perform. Moreover, examine the availability of manufacturer incentives such as guarantees and warranties. Finally, negotiate the asking price to get a good deal on your preferred tilt hitch.